Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Shopping While Pregnant 101

So I had a little lesson in shopping while pregnant yesterday. It all started when I returned to the place where I first learned I was pregnant! (Yay David's Bridal) I finally broke down and decided that I NEEDED to get my dress for sissy's wedding. There are some bigger fish to fry before this baby comes and Karen's wedding is the absolute biggest! So with 13 weeks to go till the big day I figured I'd go get my dress.

Karen and I had been in conversation about what style dress would be most comfortable/practical/fit with the party etc. She gave me tons of leeway since I am the matron of honor and she knew I'd be 6 months pregnant. (By the way, my sister is the BEST) So I went armed with a couple of styles that I saw online plus the original style that she picked for her girls. When I got to the store, the consultant said that she believed that we could make the original dress work but we would try on some other styles just to make sure.

This is where everything got a little sketchy. She asked me my start size and we pulled dresses galore in 5 different sizes. Then she asked me my bra size. DUN DUN DUNNNNN. I know I have been walking around for at least 4 weeks now in an ill fitting bra. It's been something that I simply have not wanted to deal with. To give you a perspective on how bad the problem is, I had SEVERAL women in our church tell me that they knew weeks before we announced our pregnancy that I was pregnant because "I finally had developed a chest". Church ladies are tactful like that :) Any who, we got the bra thing figured out and then I was introduced to this:

This, is the belly pillow. HAHA. I did not even know what to do or say when this was handed to me. I just busted up. For 25 minutes at David's Bridal I got to pretend I had the most radiant baby belly ever. Downside, real baby felt squished and the bruising that I mentioned last post didn't get along so well with this pillow.

After the consultant and alterations lady humming and hawing about what size dress would be the best, I finally decided to go with Karen's original style. The girl trying on wedding gowns next me even gave me this compliment: "Gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl, you got booty in that dress!" Um, yeah, not what were going for, but it needs some alterations. Lord knows, that my belly won't come close to how "enhanced" I was with the belly pillow.

TADA!!! We have a dress! And I don't look like a stuffed sausage. Karen's color is black :)

What the dress would look like in real life:
 Tiny, but you get the idea. Photo: davidsbridal.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment